A happy holiday for most is one that includes family gathering together. Your house can truly become a home during this period when relatives come to visit and people you love spend time together in the house you love. The thing about togetherness is that it makes you feel safe and secure. When you’re with people you care about, you worry less and love more. But the holidays are also a time when there are more fire hazards in our homes. So, to add to this feeling of safety make sure your holiday is enjoyed without any mishaps by taking some added fire-safety precautions.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
- If you celebrate Christmas and you have a real tree in your house, make sure you’re doing everything you can to keep your tree alive. A dead tree can create an inferno if exposed to open flames or a spark from a faulty wire.
- If you have children in your home, make sure lit candles are far out of reach and that electrical outlets are covered.
- Make sure that your Christmas lights are not ragged, and wires are not exposed. It’s also a good idea to use surge protectors and not overload outlets.
- Before preparing any large meals, make sure that your oven and stove are in proper working order.
- Keep pets away from lit candles or fireplaces.
- Always use gas, electric, or traditional fireplaces correctly and responsibly and be careful hanging stockings made of flammable materials on the mantle.
Having a happy holiday is synonymous with a safe holiday. You don’t want to put your family, friends, possessions, or yourself at risk by neglecting these simple suggestions. You can make sure your home is ready for the holidays, but don’t get so festive you lose sight of what matters most: the safety of your loved ones.
Protect Your Home
A happy holiday home is safe and secure, but it’s also insured. ABCO Insurance Agency can help you find the right plan to help you further protect your home from the worst. So, contact us today to find a homeowner’s insurance plan that would be right for you.